All parts of the bearing assembly have been designed to eliminate fatigue mechanisms by including large stress-relief radii manufactured from strong alloy steels. Our bearing assembly is designed to run not only with low torque/ high-speed power sections, but with the highest torque output power sections available on the market today.
The Cougar oil-sealed bearing assembly carries all the radial and thrust loads. To extend bearing life, Cougar uses a high-pressure rotary shaft seal design, specifically developed for drilling motor use. Abrasive drilling fluids never come in contact with the seal and will maintain oil lubrication on the bearings.
Seals for high temperature—450°F (230°C)—are also available. The sealing system also includes a unique flow-restrictor design to deliver maximum flow to the bit for exceptional hydraulic horsepower and hole cleaning.
Benefits & Features
- Reduce the bearing load with more radial support for side loading in a directional application and high capacity thrust bearing for weight on, and off bottom loading
- Achieve the rate of penetration needed to satisfy demanding requirements with this ideal bearing assembly
- Obtain a more accurate and durable drive system with a large bore that helps to minimize pressure drops and maximize available hydraulic power
- Cougar adjustable housing has 15 field-settable settings (compared to the standard 12 to 13) for finer tool angle adjustment and more refined build rates. The adjustable housing was designed around a large diameter drive shaft, while still maintaining the bending and torsional strength of the motor.
- The robust drive shaft was designed to resolve the offset rotational movement (eccentric rotation) of the rotor with 0-3 degree bend of the adjustable housing as well as torque well in excess of the power section. The superior universal joints and the massive drive shaft ensure the reliable, heavy duty drive assembly will handle loads and torques created by even the most powerful extended power sections.
- Cougar drilling motors come equipped with the most efficient and powerful positive displacement power sections that are able to withstand even the most aggressive PDC drill bits. Cougar drilling motors are built and designed to accommodate the drilling parameters of any coil tubing rig and provide maximum performance. All Cougar coil motors are equipped with rotor catches to ensure easy retrieval.
- Not only can a screw-on stabilizer be installed over the bearing housing, but it can also be strategically placed along the complete drilling motor to provide added stability for a packed or pendulum drilling assembly. This unique feature helps minimize deviation problems and holds the well bore vertical while carrying the desired weight-on-bit.
Back to: Drilling Motors